HUGO VAN DER MOLEN'S
a collection of historic bonds and shares
Dr. Hugo H. van der Molen -
Wederikweg 114 - 9753 AE Haren, The Netherlands
Tel: +31 (0)50 534 8795; Fax: +31 (0)50 534 0852; email: [email protected]
Hendrik Jan Spijker (sitting) and his brother Jacobus (standing) with their parents
In 1880 the Spijker brothers started a coach and carriage factory in Hilversum. One of the last coaches they produced in 1898 is the famous Golden Coach. In 1901 the Spijker brothers started to build Benz cars in licence under the name Spijker-Benz. In 1903 the name Spijker was changed into Spyker, easier for use abroad. In that year they built a car that was the first in the world with 6-cylinders, permanent 4-wheel drive and 4-wheel brakes, the 60 HP GrandPrix racer (60 pk). This car still exists and can be seen in the Automobiel museum in Raamsdonksveer. In 1907 the Spyker 14/18 HP Tourer finished as second in the first Peking-Paris rally. The brand became world famous and was called the Rolls Royce of the continent. The Dutch Queen Wilhelmina bought two Spyker cars in 1911.
In 1907 Hendrik Jan Spijker died in a ship disaster, after which Jacobus withdrew from the business.
Go back to the history of the Spyker company
You are here: home - scripophily - Spijker family photo